Wednesday 27 July 2011

The Don Of Orcland Kong!!

DONKEY KONG review

For all of my fellow gamers out there and for all the people that enjoyed The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters (2007) I figured that I had better do a game review on the game termed as 'THE BEST of THE BEST'.


Well where do I start? I guess that I can admit that I too had grown up with this game, although in my experiance it was a game that never got the shine that the likes of Street Fighter II  did. No not in my life of 'spaceys'. I can only admit to remebering it from a Spacey Parlour in downtown Auckland, where we used to go to after Rugby games while in the city.

I still remember looking at the screen and thinking 'what the hell is that about' I remember going there with my older brother who I considered a 'pro gamer' and watching him tell me not to waste my money on the game and that it was 'too hard you little dickhead!'. I did however give the game a tiny bit of my time once or twice. Two occasions when I went to the city with my little mates, at the age of 7ish. At 7 you don't listen to a thing your peers tell you Esp not your big brother. Well I mean you hear it... but do not abide by it, for me it was like a quest to proove that I had solved or 'clocked' one of lifes truths before others had.

Needless to say... I got pwned. I think I threw away more than a few 20cent coins to that damn machine. But what it gave me that other machines did not... was a ticket to a dimension of gaming FEAR, a fear that I could not over come. That fear now sat firmly in my mind in the very spot where the gaming machine was. The different thing was that THIS GAME was not just somthing you could spend a few bucks on and conquer. This game was different.The first time I watched the movie, I cried. It was not only the path that the underdog had taken but it also felt as though it was a part of my life that could have unfolded into some epic journey to beat that game. It took me back to when I first saw that damn machine with its stupid simple looks and platforms.

After watching the Movie King Of Kong more than a few times I decided that it was time to let the bad bwoy loose, time to change back from the FPS monster who eats chumps at Battlefield and Left for Dead... into the little boy that was beaten by the Donkey Kong machine in Central Auckland, all those many games ago.

I ended up jamming the game alot by myself, because earlier this year I took a time off gaming and let go of my FPS addiction for over a month. After than period... I installed Donkey Kong, after some tweaks to get the  MAME | Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator working from my bro 'G-MAN' I was away.Him and I competed online through chat to see who had gotten the highest score... the initial stages are hard as anything. The barrels never ever let you feel comfort and to be honest the only times I ever got past the first 3 levels with ease... I felt as though I had the courage of Neo charging into a sea of agents. The First spring stage is a true test, the elevators are treacherous andf easy once you know them but the springs are a different story altogether. Not something to take lightly. Your timing has to be spot on and the lure of extra points near the end in the form of a cupcake is easily overshadowed by the pure feeling of "Ive nearly f#$king made it!... f#ck getting that f$cking thing!, get me out of here!".



Apon surpasing the damn springs though, things do not get easier... when coming back to the same looking board as the first you tend to feel comfort, this is what that 'damn dirty Ape' wants you to feel. The barrels know not mercy... theyre AI I felt rivalled the best FPS I have faced, which made no sense given the whole game is not even close to 1 megabyte. Braving the barrells again you are sent back to the girder/fire stage again... which seeing as I havent explainged comes after the first board and is the closest thing in that damn game that one gets to a break.

The goal in that mode is to take apart the platforms so that DK drops... which is usually OK and apon mastering the 'fire jump' things probably get easier. This was a skill the bro G-man learned that I never had the nerve for, I took the MC Hammer approach. After one more spring stage... which is alot harder given that you have to stand in exactly the right place and there are now 2 springs. After those stages comes THIS magical vision (picture below)... an escalator like stage with pies and fires... which I only got past by charging it upwards and getting to the retracting ladders before the fires multiply.

I can say that I only ever got to the stage after this a handfull of times and never got too much further. But I can say is that THIS game made me a better person, it feels as though it is a Martial art and I reckon it is  the only game that Bruce Lee would have approved of. I loved every second playing it and I will no doubt resume my quest for the top at some point. Above all I am greatful for that Movie and THIS game for giving so many people the heart and magic back to talk about gaming. Its NOT just a game, THIS was a portal back to when I believed I could do anything... except be good at this game and thanks to THIS game I was able to time travel back and kick some @ss Quantum Leap
steez!

Im sure Billy Mitchell and Steve Wiebe would agree...
I am giving this game a 40,000 out of 40,000 that was around the highest score I ended up getting before I uninstalled and probably around the amount of hours playing it seemed to take off my life but give to my soul.

Graphics:immortal
Gameplay:10/10
Storyline:Enigmatic, but let down by ending

Below is the portrait of a Me, a child who beat his fears and got as close to rescuing the girl as the best of them.

This was the only screen shot that I found I still had. I still remember the exact game where I got that record.

No comments:

Post a Comment